Beef Pot Pie Recipe
For more than a dozen years, this has been the No. 1 dish to serve company at our house. So far, everyone who has tried it has given it a thumbs-up rating.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (7 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flours and salt. Cut in shortening and butter until crumbly. Add cheese; toss to blend. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate.
- 2. For filling, in a large skillet, cook the beef, celery, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to fit the bottom of an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Transfer to dish. Spoon filling over crust. Roll out remaining dough to fit top of dish; cut slits or shapes with cookie cutters. Place over filling; trim and flute edges.
- 4. Arrange cutouts over pastry. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 487 calories, 29 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 802 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC