Beef Pitas with Yogurt Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 4 whole pita breads, warmed
- 1. In a small bowl, mix yogurt, parsley, garlic and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Toss beef with herbs, pepper and remaining salt.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan.
- 3. In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Serve on pitas; top with onion and sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
1 filled pita with 1/4 cup sauce equals 405 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 784 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 33 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat.