Beef Osso Bucco Recipe
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 beef shanks (14 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine or beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown beef in butter and oil. Transfer meat and drippings to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add wine to skillet, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan; pour over meat. Add the tomatoes, broth, carrots, onion, celery, thyme, oregano, bay leaves and remaining salt.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaves.
- 4. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 5. In a small bowl, combine the gremolata ingredients. Serve beef with gremolata and sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
1 shank with 1 cup sauce and 4 teaspoons g: 398 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 640mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 47g protein
Reviews for Beef Osso Bucco
"I won't make this again simply because I feel there are better crock pot stews. I wasn't impressed with this recipe and it didn't have a lot of flavor. However, I have to say also, that I didn't use the beef shanks. The bones might have added the flavor it needed but the shanks didn't seem to have enough meat on them."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.