- teaspoon salt. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, brown beef in butter and oil. Transfer meat and
- drippings to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Add wine to skillet, stirring to
- loosen browned bits from pan; pour over meat. Add the tomatoes,
- broth, carrots, onion, celery, thyme, oregano, bay leaves and
- remaining salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is tender. Discard
- bay leaves.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth;
- gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, combine the gremolata ingredients. Serve beef with
- gremolata and sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 shank with 1 cup sauce and 4 teaspoons gremolata equals 398 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 112 mg cholesterol, 640 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 47 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.