Beef or Venison Stew Recipe
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds beef or venison stew meat
- 3 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 pound carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Browning sauce, optional
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil. Brown meat. Add onions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes and carrots. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender, about 30-45 minutes. Mix flour and water; stir into stew. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- For additional color, add browning sauce to gravy if desired. Discard bay leaf. Serve in bowl. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Beef or Venison Stew(1)
Sort By :
I had to add some beef broth since this doesn't have any liquid & the cook time is off. The flavor wasn't bad in the end though. I think the meat would be bettter in a slow cooker version so it would end up tender.