- 1-1/2 cups sliced sweet onions
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tube (8 ounces) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until browned and caramelized; remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm. In the same skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, brown sugar, cumin, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add the broth; cook for 8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in reserved onion.
- Unroll dough and separate into four rectangles. Separate each rectangle at perforation into two triangles (see Fig. 1). Pinch two 6-in. sides together to form a triangle (see Fig. 2). Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place point of one triangle near the end of a greased baking sheet. Place point of second triable in center of first triangle. Repeat with remaining triangle (see Fig. 3).
- Spoon beef mixture in a 1-1/2-in.-wide strip down the center; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Starting at one end, fold alternating points across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Beef Onion Strudel in Quick Cooking January/February 2004, p43
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Beef Onion Strudel
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review