Beef Onion Loaf
When I got married, I made sure to copy this recipe from my mother's files. I've been making it for over 10 years. - Sara Bediz, Lake Jackson, Texas.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 can (2.8 ounces) french-fried onions, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) sliced carrots, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) whole potatoes, drained
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup of tomato sauce, egg, 1-1/2 cups
- onions, parsley, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Crumble beef over
- mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf in a greased 11-in. x 7-in.
- baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes; drain.
- Combine sugar and remaining tomato sauce; spread over the meat loaf.
- Sprinkle with remaining onions. Place carrots and potatoes around
- loaf. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes more or until meat is no longer
- pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand 10 minutes
- before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 328 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 1,038 mg sodium,