This recipe pleasantly proves that decreasing fat intake doesn't mean saying farewell to ground beef's full-bodied flavor. This soup is sure to be a hit in your home.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain. Add next 11 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon of Parmesan cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Beef Minestrone in Country Woman September/October 1995, p36
Reviews for Beef Minestrone
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review