Beef Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato or V8 juice
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, optional
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1. In a large stockpot, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato juice, water, lentils, cabbage, carrots, celery, onion, green pepper, pepper, thyme, bay leaf, salt and bouillon if desired.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until the lentils and vegetables are tender. Add spinach and heat through. Remove bay leaf. Yield: 6 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared without bouillon and salt) equals 2 meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch; also, 317 calories, 128 mg sodium, 45 mg cholesterol, 38 gm carbohydrate, 28 gm protein, 7 gm fat.