- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the water, tomato sauce and paste, soup mix, oregano, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon 1/2 cup meat sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and a third of the cottage cheese, mozzarella, meat sauce and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Beef Lasagne
"It was ok. I would try a different recipe next time. I added the full envelope of onion soup mix; perhaps it would taste better with less."
"This was very good, even better warmed up as leftovers. Didn't change a thing."
"I wonder how much sodium is in a serving? Onion soup mix is very high in sodium as is cheese."
"This is pretty good in my opinion. Everyone in the family loves it. It's my husband's request when he comes home from a week of travelling and craves home cooking."
"This was delicious. I used buffalo meat, which worked out well. I, too, ran short of sauce, but just loaded up on the cheese and used one less layer of noodles and it did not seem to make a difference. My husband loved it. It is a very easy recipe to follow as well and does not take too long to make."