This recipe is one of my mom's specialties. It's a hearty main dish that gets requested time and time again. The from-scratch sauce makes each cheesy slice extra flavorful and softer-textured than other versions.—Kim Orr, West Grove, Pennsylvania
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the water, tomato sauce and paste, soup mix, oregano, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon 1/2 cup meat sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and a third of the cottage cheese, mozzarella, meat sauce and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Mom's Lasagna in Taste of Home April/May 2001, p35
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef Lasagne
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review