- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon caraway seeds
- Sour cream
- In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, cook and stir the beef, onion and green pepper in oil until meat is browned on all sides; drain. Stir in the next 10 ingredients. bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and caraway seeds. Cover and simmer 25-30 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaves. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Beef Goulash Soup in Taste of Home August/September 2002, p19
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Beef Goulash Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 10, 2010
"Sorry to say we thought this had too much tomato and needed some additional flavor."