“I found this recipe in the newspaper and made some variations,” says Rebecca Sodergren of Wichita Falls, Texas. “The jalapeno pepper gives just the slightest bit of zing to the otherwise cool, refreshing sauce.”
- 4 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 2 large green peppers, halved
- 2 large onions, thickly sliced
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Shredded lettuce, tomato wedges and sliced ripe olives, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 3 tablespoons lime juice, 2 tablespoons oil, thyme and hot pepper sauce. Add the beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- For sauce, place the yogurt, cilantro, jalapeno and remaining lime juice in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; refrigerate until serving. Brush green peppers and onions with remaining oil; set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade. Grill beef, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, grill green peppers and onions, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 5 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender. Cut into strips; spoon onto tortillas. Top with sliced beef. Serve with cilantro sauce. Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes and olives if desired. Fold in sides. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Beef Fajitas with Cilantro Sauce in Taste of Home December/January 2006, p52
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef Fajitas with Cilantro Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review