Beef Chow Mein
THIS IS my basic recipe for stir-fry. I've tried others but always come back to this one. I have also substituted chicken and chicken broth for the beef and beef broth and found it just as good.
-Margery Bryan, Royal City, Washington
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound beef tenderloin, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups assorted fresh vegetables
- 1/3 cup beef broth
- Chow mein noodles or hot cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Add beef; toss
- to coat. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in oil until no
- longer pink; remove and keep warm.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add vegetables and broth; stir-fry for 4
- minutes. Return beef to the pan; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until heated through. Serve with chow mein noodles or rice. Yield: 2
Nutritional Facts: One serving (prepared with reduced-sodium soy sauce and rice) equals 296 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 643 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetables, 2 fat.