Beef Chow Mein Skillet Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 package (8 ounces) fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the celery, mushrooms, water, water chestnuts, soy sauce, brown sugar, bouillon granules, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice if desired. Top with chow mein noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 296 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 1017mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Beef Chow Mein Skillet
"This was really good! The only changes I made were leaving out the mushrooms (only because my picky husband doesn't like them!), simmering for only ten munutes so the celery didn't get mushy, and adding a can of bean sprouts at the very end until just heated through. Served over rice and topped with the chow mein noodles, this dish was delicious and enjoyed by the whole family."