- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 package (8 ounces) fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the celery, mushrooms, water, water chestnuts, soy sauce, brown sugar, bouillon granules, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice if desired. Top with chow mein noodles. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Beef Chow Mein Skillet
Sort By :