A spicy sauce sparks up these hearty beef- and bean-filled tortillas. I often double the recipe and freeze the chimichangas individually to take out as needed. I serve them with shredded lettuce and sour cream. —Schelby Thompson, Camden Wyoming, Delaware
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce, divided
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 12 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped jalapeno peppers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink;
- drain. Stir in the beans, onion, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, chili powder,
- garlic and cumin.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of beef mixture off-center on each tortilla. Fold
- edge nearest filling up and over to cover. Fold in both sides and
- roll up. Fasten with toothpicks. In a large saucepan, combine the
- chilies, peppers and remaining tomato sauce; heat through.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to
- 375°. Fry the chimichangas for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side