- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Dash ground cinnamon
- Dash ground cloves
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar, optional
- 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 cups shredded lettuce, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a skillet, cook beef and green pepper over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the beans, tomatoes, water, onion, chili powder, cinnamon and cloves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar. Simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed; stir in potato flakes.
- Meanwhile, on a floured surface, roll one portion of pastry to fit the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Transfer pastry to dish; trim edges. Sprinkle lettuce and 1/2 cup cheese over crust. Top with half of the beef mixture and 3/4 cup cheese, then remaining beef mixture and cheese. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of dish. Place over filling. Trim edges; seal with a fork. Cut slits in pastry. Brush with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with remaining lettuce. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Beef Chili Pie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p183
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Beef Chili Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review