Beef Cabbage Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown stew meat; drain. Meanwhile, dissolve bouillon cubes in water; add to beef. Stir in the onion, pepper and bay leaf. Cover; simmer 1-1/4 hours or until tender.
- 2. Add the potatoes, celery, cabbage and carrot. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Stir in tomato sauce and salt. Simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes more. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 194 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 402mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Beef Cabbage Stew
"How do they figure it only takes 5 minutes PREP? THAT IS RIDICULOUS! Barely time to even cut up the beef and get it in the pan."
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.