Beef Cabbage Soup Recipe
I make this good hearty soup with chunks of beef often during fall and winter. The cabbage-sauerkraut is a nice combination and provides an interesting texture.
- 1 beef roast (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 pounds cabbage, shredded
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large kettle, brown met in oil on both sides. Add onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes, salt, pepper, dill seed, parsley and enough water to cover. Cook, covered, about 2 hours. In a large skillet, saute cabbage, sauerkraut and garlic in butter until cabbage is wilted. Add cabbage mixture to meat. Simmer, covered, 1-1/2 hours. Remove meat and cut into bite-size pieces; return to kettle and heat through. Yield: 12-14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Peasant Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p58
Reviews for Beef Cabbage Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review