Beef Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook cabbage in boiling water just until outer leaves pull away easily from head. Set aside 8 large leaves for rolls. Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of each reserved leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- 3. In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender. In a large bowl, combine the rice, onion, egg whites, currants, pine nuts, lemon juice, oregano, pepper, salt and cinnamon. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- 4. Place about 1/3 cup beef mixture on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling. Place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar and thyme; pour over rolls.
- 5. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Yield: 4 servings.
2 cabbage rolls equals 335 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.