- In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion
- until tender. In a large bowl, combine the rice, onion, egg whites,
- currants, pine nuts, lemon juice, oregano, pepper, salt and
- cinnamon. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Place about 1/3 cup beef mixture on each cabbage leaf. Fold in sides,
- beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling.
- Place seam side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with
- cooking spray. Combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar and thyme; pour
- over rolls.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender and
- a meat thermometer reads 160°. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer
- or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2 cabbage rolls equals 335 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 198 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.