- 1 head cabbage
- 1 large potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Cook cabbage in boiling water just until the leaves fall off head. Cut out the thick vein from the bottom of 12 large leaves, making a V-shaped cut; set aside. (Refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use.)
- In a large bowl, combine the potato, carrot, celery, green pepper, onion, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well.
- Shape into 12 logs. Place one log on each cabbage leaf; overlap cut ends of leaf. Fold in sides, beginning from the cut end. Roll up completely to enclose filling. Secure with a toothpick.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour tomato sauce over roll-ups. Sprinkle with basil and parsley. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and cabbage is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBeef Cabbage Roll-Ups
"I used ground turkey instead of beef and I wouldn't recommend it. The turkey makes it too bland. Something else to consider, this recipe takes longer than 30 minutes to prep -- I'd say more like 45-60 minutes unless you have help. In general though, it was unique and delicious :)."