Beef Brisket in Gravy
This tender roast has remained our very favorite family main dish over many years. Often, I make it ahead and reheat the beef in the gravy. It's delicious served with hot cooked noodles or mashed potatoes.
-Erlene Cornelius, Spring City, Tennessee
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours + standing
- 1 fresh beef brisket (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 envelope beefy onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown brisket in oil on both sides over medium-high
- heat; drain. Combine hot water and soup mix; pour over brisket.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is
- Remove brisket to a serving platter. Let stand for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually
- stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes
- or until thickened. Thinly slice meat across the grain; serve with
- the gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 194 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a