- 1 fresh beef brisket (2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef and onion in oil in batches; drain. Stir in the beans, kielbasa, salsa, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, garlic and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 hours or until meat is tender. Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and peel. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Beef Brisket Chili in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2007, p102
Reviews for Beef Brisket Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jun. 28, 2012
"Amazing, made as directed, but omitted the sausage to up the healthy quotient a bit. My version comes up to about 300 calories/cup. Love it, and will definitely make again!"