Beef Bourguignon Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 fresh pearl onions, trimmed
- 1/2 pound small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- Mashed potatoes
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings. Brown stew meat in drippings in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onion and carrot until crisp-tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add wine and broth; stir in bay leaves, tomato paste, thyme, pepper, bacon and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 3. In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside. Stir into stew; cook 30 minutes longer.
- 4. Add mushrooms; cook 30-40 minutes or until beef is tender. Skim fat and discard bay leaves. Stir in chocolate until melted. Serve with mashed potatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without mashed potatoes): 349 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Reviews for Beef Bourguignon
"Awesome though it takes some how much time #ILikeIt"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.