Beef Bourguignon Recipe
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 fresh pearl onions, trimmed
- 1/2 pound small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- Mashed potatoes
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings. Brown stew meat in drippings in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same pan, saute onion and carrot until crisp-tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add wine and broth; stir in bay leaves, tomato paste, thyme, pepper, bacon and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- 3. In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside. Stir into stew; cook 30 minutes longer.
- 4. Add mushrooms; cook 30-40 minutes or until beef is tender. Skim fat and discard bay leaves. Stir in chocolate until melted. Serve with mashed potatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup (calculated without mashed potatoes): 349 calories, 17g fat (6g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein .
Reviews for Beef Bourguignon
"Awesome though it takes some how much time #ILikeIt"
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.