Beef Bourguignon Recipe
This stovetop stew is loaded with taste, but is easy to do. While the name sounds fancy, even a beginning cook can master it. It's our traditional holy day meal.Elodie Rosinovsky, Brighton, Massachusetts
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 fresh pearl onions, trimmed
- 1/2 pound small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate
- Mashed potatoes
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings. Brown stew meat in drippings in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onion and carrot until crisp-tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add wine and broth; stir in bay leaves, tomato paste, thyme, pepper, bacon and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- In a large saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside. Stir into stew; cook 30 minutes longer.
- Add mushrooms; cook 30-40 minutes or until beef is tender. Skim fat and discard bay leaves. Stir in chocolate until melted. Serve with mashed potatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Beef Bourguignon in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2011, p41
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Beef Bourguignon(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Dinner Recipes >
- Christmas Main Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >