- with a slotted spoon; set aside. Pour off drippings. Repeat with
- remaining beef.
- In the same stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions,
- carrots and celery; cook and stir until tender. Stir in 1 cup tomato
- paste; cook and stir 3 minutes longer. Add the garlic, seasonings
- and beef.
- Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until almost evaporated. Add
- tomatoes, stock and bay leaves; return to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours or until desired consistency,
- stirring in milk halfway through cooking.
- Remove bay leaves. Stir in cheese and remaining tomato paste; heat
- through. Serve with linguine and, if desired, additional cheese.
- Yield: 18 servings (1 cup each).
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.