Beef Barley Stew
I like barley, so I knew I had to try this recipe when I ran across it in a newspaper some years ago. It's nice to have a tasty, filling dish that's lower in fat.June Formanek, Belle Plaine, Iowa
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, brown meat in oil in batches.
- Remove and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion until
- crisp-tender. Add the broth, barley, seasonings and beef; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 30-40
- minutes or until meat and carrots are tender. Add parsley just
- before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving equals 266 calories, 8 g fat (0 saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 618 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber,