Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a soup kettle, combine ribs, water, tomatoes, onion, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove ribs; cool. Skim fat.
- 2. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to broth. Add carrots, celery and cabbage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- 3. Add barley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender. Add parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
One 1-cup serving (prepared without salt) equals 314 calories, 15 g fat (0 saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.