Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a soup kettle, combine ribs, water, tomatoes, onion, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove ribs; cool. Skim fat.
- 2. Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to broth. Add carrots, celery and cabbage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- 3. Add barley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender. Add parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup: 314 calories, 15g fat (0 saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Beef Barley Soup
"Very bland, not impressed at all"
"This was great, but I used Italian-seasoned canned tomatoes and added a shake of extra herbs. Next time I'll make it with beef chuck roast instead of the short ribs."
"This just tasted bland to me."
"This soup is very good! I make it as often as I can...it goes very quickly! The only thing I do different is I leave out the cabbage, personal preference. I just add alittle more of the carrots and celery. Very, very tasty!!"
"A Good Hardy Soup. Full of flavor and it smells so good. All you need is biscuits or dark bread on the side."
"Jan your the best. Soup was great"