Beef Barley Soup with Veggies Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme, basil and parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Add the water, carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 2. Stir in barley; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until barley is tender. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1-1/4 cups equals 302 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 688 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.