- medium heat. Add beef; brown evenly. Remove from the pan.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the
- mushroom, onion and fennel; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until
- tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add stock and water,
- stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return beef to pan. Bring
- to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 40-60 minutes or until
- meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, place the squash, potato and carrots on a greased 15-in. x
- 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; drizzle with remaining oil and toss to
- coat. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are
- almost tender, stirring twice.
- Add barley, thyme, nutmeg and roasted vegetables to soup; return to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until
- barley is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings (3
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups equals 339 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 855 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 20 g protein.