The beauty of this soup is that you can roast the vegetables separately in the oven while it's simmering away. Then I simply add them in during the last minutes on the stovetop. I love that the roasted vegetables keep their own bright flavors that add to this earthy bowl of warmth. —Gayla Scott, West Jefferson, North Carolina
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat (3/4-inch cubes)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large portobello mushroom, stem removed, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, salt and pepper; sprinkle over beef and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add beef; brown evenly. Remove from the pan.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushroom, onion and fennel; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add stock and water, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return beef to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 40-60 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, place the squash, potato and carrots on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; drizzle with remaining oil and toss to coat. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender, stirring twice.
Add barley, thyme, nutmeg and roasted vegetables to soup; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until barley is tender. Sprinkle with parsley.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Beef Barley Soup with Roasted Vegetables in Taste of Home August/September 2012, p45
Reviews for Beef Barley Soup with Roasted Vegetables
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review