Our database specialist, Sue Jurack of Mequon, Wisconsin, shares her recipe for a delicious soup brimming with savory ingredients. "It’s so comforting on a cool day," says Sue.
- 2 tablespoons each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked roast beef
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, saute the carrot, celery and onion in butter until tender. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Beef Barley Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2009, p9
Reviews for Beef Barley Soup for 2
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review