Beef Barley Soup for 2
Our database specialist, Sue Jurack of Mequon, Wisconsin, shares her recipe for a delicious soup brimming with savory ingredients. "It’s so comforting on a cool day," says Sue.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked roast beef
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small saucepan, saute the carrot, celery and onion in butter
- until tender. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender,
- stirring occasionally. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cup equals 206 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 650 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.