Beef Barley Soup for 2 Recipe
- 2 tablespoons each chopped carrot, celery and onion
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked roast beef
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- 2 tablespoons frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute the carrot, celery and onion in butter until tender. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until barley is tender, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 206 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 650mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 18g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Beef Barley Soup for 2
"Everyone loved it!!! I think it was the best soup I ever had. It tasted even better than it smelled. We always have friends coming over and the night I made it, everyone wanted a taste."
"Loved it! It passed the husband test - he ate three bowls! Good thing I doubled it the first time I made it...."
"This soup is delicious. It is so easy and fast to prepare, and the recipe is easily doubled. I make this soup often."