Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil; drain. Stir in the broth, water, barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and parsley; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Beef Barley Soup(18)
Sort By :
Yummy soup! It is very cold here in the Northwest now and this soup was a perfect supper. I added twice the barley and it was delicious and so hearty! My husband who really doesn't like peas in any shape or form loved them in this wonderful soup....
Excellent recipe. Clear and easy to follow, this is a GREAT soup and has become one of my favotires!
This recipe isn't hearty. It a waste of money. Drinking a can of beef broth will have the same effect. I couldn't tell there was any barley in it. The pic isn't accurate and is very misleading . A more accurate pic would be one of a teaspoon of beef broth. The only way this would serve 9 is if they are mice or people on a starvation diet. This was a total waste of time and good ingredients.
I'd been craving a good old fashioned beef and barley soup and Voila! this is it!! The only thing I added was two teaspoons of worcestershire sauce. That gave it the little extra it needed to make it absolutely delicious.
I've been hungry for Beef Barley Soup lately and this recipe hit the spot. Very easy and very good. It's nice that it uses ingredients that I usually have on-hand.