Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup frozen peas
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil; drain. Stir in the broth, water, barley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion and parsley; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in peas; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Beef Barley Soup(21)
Sort By :
This soup is awesome. I prepared it for my book club and they gobbled it down. I made just a couple of changes. I used lean ground beef instead of round steak and added a little thyme to give it a tad more flavor. This is definitely a five star recipe. Here is a link to my review and photo: http://community.tasteofhome.com/community_forums/f/30/p/894054/7744168.aspx#7744168
For good soup also add rotel tomatoes, mushrooms, more barley, diced potatoes, italian seasoning, bay leaf, garlic, cumin, ..... :)
I used olive oil instead of canola oil. My family doesn't like the taste of canola oil. Really good soup!
Yummy soup! It is very cold here in the Northwest now and this soup was a perfect supper. I added twice the barley and it was delicious and so hearty! My husband who really doesn't like peas in any shape or form loved them in this wonderful soup....
Excellent recipe. Clear and easy to follow, this is a GREAT soup and has become one of my favotires!