Beef Barley Soup Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 5 cups water
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, thyme, basil and parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides; drain. Add the water, carrots, celery, onion, tomatoes, tomato paste, bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Stir in barley; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until barley is tender. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Reviews for Beef Barley Soup(15)
Sort By :
This was a great recipe that went together easily and made plenty to have on hand for leftovers. The only ingredient adjustments I made, since my cut of beef was more than 2 lbs., were to add 2 extra cups of water and use the whole can (6 oz) of tomato paste. I also added a little more pepper for extra flavor.
I thought this was very good. I used the whole 6 oz can of tomato paste, but otherwise followed the recipe.
I didn't have barley on hand so I used lentils. I also threw in about a cup of frozen corn. Delicious - and great for those days I want stew but didn't plan far enough ahead for a crockpot recipe.
Every fall I reach for my old standby soup recipes. Yesterday I reached for my dependable Taste of Home cookbook and found this recipe. I had the ingredients so gave it a try.
Rave reviews! I made a couple adjustments:
I like a thicker broth so sprinkled 1/4 cup flour to the meat after it was browned instead of draining those drippings full of flavor. I also added 2 tablespoons of vegetable bouillon instead of beef.
I froze 3 quarts for my husband I to pull out when we want a fresh bowl of soup; gave one quart to a neighbor and had the rest for dinner.
This is very good but I did some changes. I have found to buy cheaper it is simple cooking barley (not fast) and working perfect to cook it first in a rice maker (1 cup / 4 water), turned very good. And I think need add 1 tablespoon tomato paste instead of two because for me it is little bit sour with 2. And I didn`t put diced tomatoes. It is very good to add little bit sugar when you use tomato paste it is always winning combination.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Barley Soup >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >