- 2 pounds bone-in beef short ribs
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- In a soup kettle, combine ribs, water, tomatoes, onion, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove ribs; cool. Skim fat.
- Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to broth. Add carrots, celery and cabbage; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add barley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender. Add parsley. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Beef Barley Soup
Sort By :
This just tasted bland to me.
This soup is very good! I make it as often as I can...it goes very quickly! The only thing I do different is I leave out the cabbage, personal preference. I just add alittle more of the carrots and celery. Very, very tasty!!
A Good Hardy Soup. Full of flavor and it smells so good. All you need is biscuits or dark bread on the side.
Jan your the best. Soup was great