- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes (1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Layer with the potatoes, celery, carrot, lentils and barley. Combine the water, bouillon, salt and lemon pepper; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Add the tomatoes; cook 2 hours longer. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Beef Barley Lentil Soup
"oh my gosh this sounds wonderful-I think 2mro is the night........and tonight is the night. I knew I'd love this also knew my husband would go meh. he's on a drive to take a gift to our son hours away so made this so I could enjoy.ok, so with the beef it would have been delightful but although I have GB, I chose not to use it. I also omitted the lemon pepper as it's mostly salt. I used fresh tomaotes that I stewed because I didn't have any canned. THIS WAS DELICIOUS soup!thank you for posting the recipe Judy M."
"Everyone enjoyed it, even my picky teen, although she thought it was a little bland. My only quarrel is prep takes a lot longer than five minutes because you have to chop all the vegetables as well as brown the beef and onion. Also missed that it would not fit in my three-quart cooker so had to transfer to a pot on the stove to finish."
"i am making this for vegan so taking out the beef and beef granules, can i use a vegatable broth in this for substitute,"
"I made this for the family tonight. It was just OK. Needless to say, this will go in the fail column."
"Made this soup today. I read other reviews about it needing more flavor and I didn't think 2 tsps of beef granules would be enough for 8 cups of water so I did add more granules and lemon pepper seasoning too. My family loved it!! I will definitely be making this again!"
"My family likes it a lot. It's one of our favorite meals in winter"
"Fabulous recipe - easy to make and delicious with fresh bread."
"I've made this over and over again this winter. The first couple of times I made it in the crock pot, but now I cook it on the stove because I don't usually plan ahead. Everybody loves it, including my finicky 10-year-old. I use Better than Bouillon instead of the bouillon granules, since that's what I have on hand, and I add more celery and carrots. I also leave out the potatoes when it's just for my family to make it a little diabetic friendly. It's good either way."
"I added an extra 1/2 cup of lentils, carrots and celery and potatoes. I added two extra cups of water and 2 of bouillon granules and extra 1/4 c. of barley. It was perfect and very very flavourful. Very filling!"
"I made the soup just the way the recipe said and it was thick and filling and very very flavourful. I would make it again."