- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes (1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Layer with the potatoes, celery, carrot, lentils and barley. Combine the water, bouillon, salt and lemon pepper; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Add the tomatoes; cook 2 hours longer. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Beef Barley Lentil Soup
"Terribly bland. I added extra bouillon (Better Than Bouillon brand is what I used) after I tasted it and realized that it was so bland. It may have helped but I didn't want to keep adding more since it is so full of sodium. My father in law liked it, but said, something is missing. I agree and will be moving on to other recipes to try."
"oh my gosh this sounds wonderful-I think 2mro is the night........and tonight is the night. I knew I'd love this also knew my husband would go meh. he's on a drive to take a gift to our son hours away so made this so I could enjoy.ok, so with the beef it would have been delightful but although I have GB, I chose not to use it. I also omitted the lemon pepper as it's mostly salt. I used fresh tomaotes that I stewed because I didn't have any canned. THIS WAS DELICIOUS soup!thank you for posting the recipe Judy M."
"Everyone enjoyed it, even my picky teen, although she thought it was a little bland. My only quarrel is prep takes a lot longer than five minutes because you have to chop all the vegetables as well as brown the beef and onion. Also missed that it would not fit in my three-quart cooker so had to transfer to a pot on the stove to finish."
"I made this for the family tonight. It was just OK. Needless to say, this will go in the fail column."
"My family likes it a lot. It's one of our favorite meals in winter"
"I've made this over and over again this winter. The first couple of times I made it in the crock pot, but now I cook it on the stove because I don't usually plan ahead. Everybody loves it, including my finicky 10-year-old. I use Better than Bouillon instead of the bouillon granules, since that's what I have on hand, and I add more celery and carrots. I also leave out the potatoes when it's just for my family to make it a little diabetic friendly. It's good either way."
"I added an extra 1/2 cup of lentils, carrots and celery and potatoes. I added two extra cups of water and 2 of bouillon granules and extra 1/4 c. of barley. It was perfect and very very flavourful. Very filling!"