Beef Barley Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes (1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1. In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Layer with the potatoes, celery, carrots, lentils and barley. Combine the water, bouillon, salt and lemon-pepper; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- 3. Add the tomatoes; cook 2 hours longer. Yield: 10 servings.
One serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 241 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 660 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 18 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.