Beef Barley Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups cubed red potatoes (1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- In a nonstick skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Layer with the potatoes, celery, carrots, lentils and barley. Combine the water, bouillon, salt and lemon-pepper; pour over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- Add the tomatoes; cook 2 hours longer. Yield: 10 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Beef Barley Lentil Soup(30)
Sort By :
Fabulous recipe - easy to make and delicious with fresh bread.
I've made this over and over again this winter. The first couple of times I made it in the crock pot, but now I cook it on the stove because I don't usually plan ahead. Everybody loves it, including my finicky 10-year-old. I use Better than Bouillon instead of the bouillon granules, since that's what I have on hand, and I add more celery and carrots. I also leave out the potatoes when it's just for my family to make it a little diabetic friendly. It's good either way.
I added an extra 1/2 cup of lentils, carrots and celery and potatoes. I added two extra cups of water and 2 of bouillon granules and extra 1/4 c. of barley. It was perfect and very very flavourful. Very filling!
I made the soup just the way the recipe said and it was thick and filling and very very flavourful. I would make it again.
I will absolutely make this again. I added a little garlic salt, my husband's BBQ dry rub mix into it, and of course (as always) a little Frank's Red Hot Sauce. I also used diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil (did not have the stewed) and we added sweet frozen corn from our garden. I cooked my (deer) meat with a little olive oil and fresh minced garlic. My husband and I could not stop eating this. Thank goodness I had some left over to freeze. I will defiantly be making this again. Actually, I am making my grocery list right now and I am getting the stuff to make this for dinner this week (we just had this last night for dinner).
More Recipe Collections
- Barley Soup >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Beef Soup >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Lentil Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >