Beef and Wild Rice Medley Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup julienned green pepper
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, thyme and cayenne. Sprinkle over beef.
- 2. In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook beef in oil until no longer pink; drain. Stir in celery and green pepper; cook 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the water and rice mix with contents of seasoning packet.
- 3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 23-28 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in tomato; heat through. Sprinkle with onion. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup equals 327 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 626 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.