A packaged rice mix speeds up preparation of this meal-in-one entree. Cayenne pepper gives the beef a little kick, and an assortment of veggies add color and crunch.—Janelle Christensen of Big Lake, Minnesota
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup julienned green pepper
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, thyme and cayenne. Sprinkle over beef.
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook beef in oil until no longer pink; drain. Stir in celery and green pepper; cook 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the water and rice mix with contents of seasoning packet.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 23-28 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in tomato; heat through. Sprinkle with onion. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Beef and Wild Rice Medley in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p15
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef and Wild Rice Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review