- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup julienned green pepper
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, thyme and cayenne. Sprinkle over beef.
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook beef in oil until no longer pink; drain. Stir in celery and green pepper; cook 2 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in the water and rice mix with contents of seasoning packet.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 23-28 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in tomato; heat through. Sprinkle with onion. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Beef and Wild Rice Medley
"This was sooooo delicious! My whole family gobbled it up and said they wished there had been more of it, so I'll probably double the recipe next time so we can have it two nights in a row! My 10-year old daughter is a very picky eater, and she really loved this. I didn't have green pepper, so I put in red pepper instead. I also sprinkled some shredded 2% cheddar cheese on top when I served it, and I served buttered crusty French bread on the side. Yum! This is definitely going in our regular meal rotation."
"I found this recipe sort of bland. The celery and green pepper being cooked was mushy and less flavorful and I wonder how they would've been raw. However, my family actually liked this -- even the picky toddler was eating it -- so I will probably make it again."
"I made the recipe as directed only adding more beef and more rice and it was so good! I had to adjust the water a bit for the addition of the rice, too. There was only one small problem with this dish....there were no leftovers!!"
"This recipe is super tasty! And healthy!~ Theresa"
"I have made this several times. Easy to make and the entire family of picky eaters loves it!"
"This is easy to make after work and my family loves it"