Beef and Veggie Soup Recipe
I adapted this recipe from one I saw in a cookbook in an effort to add more vegetables to our diet. Our two young sons eat this up without hesitation. - Teresa King, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained, optional
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips, optional
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomato sauce, beans if desired, vegetables and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until thick and bubbly, stirring occasionally. Serve with cheese, sour cream and chips if desired. Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 each) equals 184 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 332 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 14 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC