Beef and Vegetable Soup Recipe
On the cooler nights of spring, it’s heartwarming to enjoy a bowl of hot, homemade soup like this one from our Test Kitchen. It’s easy to make, using convenience foods like canned tomatoes and frozen green beans. It’s versatile, too. You can opt for chicken and chicken broth instead of beef and substitute your favorite veggies.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Serve immediately or transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- 3. To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups equals 173 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 394 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Beef and Vegetable Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC