On the cooler nights of spring, it’s heartwarming to enjoy a bowl of hot, homemade soup like this one from our Test Kitchen. It’s easy to make, using convenience foods like canned tomatoes and frozen green beans. It’s versatile, too. You can opt for chicken and chicken broth instead of beef and substitute your favorite veggies.
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve immediately or transfer to freezer containers. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen soup: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Beef Soup in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p19
Reviews for Beef and Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review