“This is my mom's recipe. My family loves it and so does everyone else who tries it.” With its great tomato flavor, so will you! Barbara Kemmer - Rohnert Park, California
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen beef tortellini
- Place 2 tablespoons flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a nonstick Dutch oven, brown beef in 2 teaspoons butter; remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute the onion, celery and carrot in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, broth, 1 cup water, thyme, pepper, salt and reserved beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add tortellini; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until tender.
- Combine remaining flour and water until smooth. Stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Originally published as Beef and Tortellini Soup in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009, p42
Reviews for Beef and Tortellini Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review