- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups frozen beef tortellini
- Place 2 tablespoons flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a nonstick Dutch oven, brown beef in 2 teaspoons butter; remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute the onion, celery and carrot in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, broth, 1 cup water, thyme, pepper, salt and reserved beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add tortellini; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until tender.
- Combine remaining flour and water until smooth. Stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Reviews for Beef and Tortellini Soup
"This was an instant hit, there were no leftovers. Thanks for a great recipe!"
"I loved this soup. So easy. After I brought the veg. to a boil with the soup and tomatoes, I poured it over the tortellini in a crock pot and cooked on high for 3 hours. It thickened on its own so I didn't have to do the last step. Perfect!"
"Very good. All of my family enjoyed it!"
"Delicious! I use cheese tortellini sometimes."
"I LOVE this soup!! Tastes excellent, easy to make and it's on my list of favorites now. And healthy too!"