Beef and Three-Bean Chili Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/3 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sour cream, optional
- 1. Sprinkle beef with chili powder. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef and onion in oil.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray, combine the beans, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, jalapenos, brown sugar, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin. Stir in the beef, onion and drippings.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with sour cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
1 cup (calculated without sour cream) equals 309 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 620 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.