Beef and Sauerkraut Dinner Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups soft rye bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) sliced potatoes, drained
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, undrained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup each mayonnaise and horseradish, optional
- 1. In a bowl, combine beef, egg, crumbs, milk, onion, vinegar, caraway and salt; mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls.
- 2. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Add the potatoes and sauerkraut and mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley.
- 3. If sauce is desired, combine mayonnaise and horseradish; serve on the side. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 250 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 850mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein
Reviews for Beef and Sauerkraut Dinner
"We love sauerkraut and the marriage with meatballs made it amazing! Hearty home cooking at its best. Try the dipping sauce with the meatballs!"
"I personally liked this recipe but I could not get my husband or kids to eat it. You have to really like sauerkraut if you are going to make it."