Beef and Potato Nacho Casserole Recipe
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion, divided
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (24 ounces) frozen O'Brien potatoes, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed nacho cheese soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and 1/2 cup onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the taco seasoning, tomato sauce and water. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- 2. Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with the green chilies, beans and potatoes. In a large bowl, combine the soup, milk, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and remaining onion; pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 365 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 1,042 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Reviews for Beef and Potato Nacho Casserole
"This was just kind of ok to me. It lacked something. Maybe add another package of taco seasoning or something. I added some chili powder to my second helping & some crushed red pepper. It helped a bit but still lacked something. I don't think the potatoes are a good compliment to it. Maybe something crunchy on top like corn chips."
"Saved recipe just today!"
"I used salsa instead of tomato sauce and water. I also omitted the green peppers and soup and used Mexican cheese blend . It was a great idea, I just made it my own. Thank you"
"I left out tomato sauce and water and used salsa instead. I also left out soup milk and green pepper and used Mexican blend cheese. You had a really great idea and I just made it my own. Thank you."
"We loved this! The only change we made was to use star tator tots instead of the potatoes. It was not sloppy or a mess and my family of picky eaters loved it."
"My family loved this! We used star shaped tator tots instead of the frozen potatoes. Otherwise we followed the recipe exactly and it turned out fantastic!"
"everyone liked this dish"
"Hard to believe this was on the cover which was my inspiration when I saw it standing in line at the grocery store. The real shame is wasting about $15 on ingredients only to end up with a processed tasting, bland, uncooked mess that I'm not sure my dogs would eat. Like the other reviewer said, if you don't par cook the potatoes, they'll end up raw. I had never seen or used Nacho Cheese Soup, but I found a can made by Campbell's that was the saddest tasting product of theirs reminiscent of powered cheddar cheese sauce. Like another reviewer mentioned, once I saw the consistency of this cheese mess both before and after cooking, I thought about adding some "real" cheddar cheese... glad I didn't because that would have been just like flushing more dollar bills down the toilet along with the rest of the dish. This recipe might have a chance if it called for 4 packs of taco seasoning and 2 cups of cheddar cheese instead of the disgusting nacho cheese soup and to pan fry the potatoes before topping the casserole with them. I'd probably also substitute a can of diced tomatoes for the can for tomato sauce which did nothing but further water down any natural flavor of the beef.... 10 dollars worth of 93% fat free all natural good stuff."
"My family really liked this. The only thing different I did was add shredded cheddar cheese."
"Made this recipe exactly per directions. We are not picky eaters, but this did not go over well at all. I don't know what the deal was, hubby actually was the one who wanted to try this and he said never again and he doesn't ever say that, sorry!!!"
"par cook the potatoes next time. Was very good and will make again"
"I use 1lb hamburger & 1lb ground chicken. I leave out the chiles & peppers. I also top it with shredded cheese. My family LOVES this recipe and it's even better reheated!"
"This is very good, but it was too soupy. I will make it again and leave out the water and reduce the milk. My husband and I like spicy foods, so I'll also add some hot sauce to it, like Cholula."
"Made this recipe for a luncheon and got many compliments on it and requests for the recipe"
"There's 2 of us, so I split ingredients into 2 baking dishes, froze 1 for another time...nice combination of colors and textures!"
"This recipe was okay...not great. My kids did not like the "cheese" and I am thinking that next time I will try it with real cheese instead of the nacho cheese soup. Maybe I will try it with mushroom soup instead."