Beef and Potato Moussaka Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- PARMESAN SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste, parsley, salt, mint if desired, cinnamon and pepper. Set aside.
- 2. For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Add cheese and salt.
- 3. Place half of the potato slices in a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the cheese sauce and all of the meat mixture. Arrange the remaining potatoes over meat mixture; top with the remaining cheese sauce.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 285 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 570 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.